IP Capture, Control, Convert and Output
Net-X-Code applications (Net-X-Code, Net-X-Cmd, Net-X-Copy, Net-X-Streamer, videoQC and MediaReactor Workstation plugins) auto-detect and join user-defined enterprise groups on one or more servers within a network. Once connected, the controller/user can configure the system in real time via the HTTP/RESTful interface.
Server and Applications Overview
- Net-X-Cmd: This component provides the central connection for all the other components. It uses a Bonjour-like protocol to auto-sense components within its group in the network, and provides the HTTP/RESTful/HTML API
- Net-X-Code: Provides capture from network IP video sources to TS, MP4, fMP4, ISM, MXF, etc. files. A Net-X-Code server can capture 1 or more groups of up to 10 streams per group. Files can also include DASH, HLS and Smooth Streaming sidebar files. These recorded files can be stored locally or anywhere else on the network
- Net-X-SDI: Multi channel, multi standard 4k, HD and SD playback and capture, supporting QHD, HD-SDI, 3G, SDI and HDMI as well as network protocols including NDI, SMPTE 2022, and SMPTE 2110. Capture and playback multi formats like MXF, MOV, AVI, TS, MPG and codecs including uncompressed, XDCam, AVCi, ProRes, DNxHD, h.264, DVHD, and many more.
- Net-X-Server: Can take recording or pre-recorded network IP video streams from disk anywhere in the network, and re-stream them via RTP or UDP back out to the network. Net-X-Server also has a complete scheduling system for starting records, playbacks, IP captures/streams and conversion.
- Net-X-Copy: Is both a real time video translator, real time clipping engine and partial file restore system. Any recording stream can be used as a source while it is still recording, or near line/tape backup files can be restored, only accessing the part of the file required for the restore. Sources include drive, tape, local network, private cloud, Google cloud and Amazon AWS S3.
- Media File Scanner: is an optional plug in that can scan local, network, Amazon S3, Google Cloud or other file repositories to identify and organize you media. The scan works by creating media 'clips' that are the actual audio/video/metadata by combining and stitching together associated audio and video files. The result is a set of actual media files, rather then just every file, that can be used to extract metadata, make proxies, generate thumbnails and push all the information into a database or your choice of MAM.
- Net-X-Player: A HTML5 based web player that can play time coded, frame accurate files, including RTIN real time files during record. Net-X-Player can also send clipping commands directly to Net-X-Base.
- videoQC: Video preview is available from on disk, live recording and network video sources. videoQC provides video waveform, vectorscope, histogram and metadata displays, along with clipping and conversions.
- MediaReactor Workstation: These plugins allow professional editing and finishing systems to access all the file types created by the Net-X-Code system, and access the real time recording files while they are still growing. MediaReactor Workstation is built into software like Assimilate and NuCoda, and available as an option for other systems like Adobe, Avid, Autodesk, Quantel, Final Cut, and even QuickTime compatible apps.
Web Based HTML UI
The Net-X-Code interface is available through the network as a standard HTML web page.
Net-X-Code - IP Video Capture
Net-X-Code records multiple groups of multiple channels per server. Streams primarily come in as SRT, UDP and RTP transport streams or RTSP UDP/TCP streams. Streams can be captured in a number of ways:
- Direct capture of TS streams as they are received from RDP/UDP/SRT
- Re-wrap into MOV, MP4 or MXF OP1a/AS-02/OpenMXF
- Re-encode into MOV/MP4/MXF with h.264, XDCam, MPEG-2. DNxHD, ProRes, Uncompressed essence
- HLS using TS or DASH files, with multiple adaptive bit rates
- MPEG-4/RTIN Proxy generation for re-wrapped or re-encoded streams for play while record in our HTML5 player
Depending on the processor requirements, servers can capture up to 225 streams from a 10G NIC. If doing re encodes and/or generating proxy streams, then processor power/usage will dictate the maximum number of capture streams. Each Net-X-Code instance comes with 10 stream licenses, with more available for purchase.
If recording to OpenMXF, these streams can be edited while recording in Adobe Premiere, Avid Media Composer and other editing systems that support it. Captures also include Drastic's proprietary RTIN system to allow edit while record of most capture files, including AVI, MOV, MPEG-4 and all MXF variants. With Drastic's MediaReactor Workstation plug ins, any recording file can be read, and clipped/exported while it still recording.
If proxy files are also being generated by Net-X-Code, or captured from an h.264 stream source, they can be edited real time via the RTIN and played in Drastic's pure HTML5 Net-X-Player software, with full time code and multi channel playback control. The Net-X-Copy portion of the server can also clip out sections of the high res file, based on time code points from the proxy file, to create clips for editing while the event is still recording.
Optional UIs for Net-X-Code IP Stream capture components
Net-X-Streamer - IP Video (Re)Streamer
Net-X-Streamer can stream files from storage, either pre-recorded or live recording, in real time back to the network. The streams can be sent out via UDP, RTP or SRT. They must be in TS form to be streams, but Net-X-Code server's conversion system fully supports re-wrapping or re-encoding files from most broadcast/post sources into MPEG-2 or h.264 transport streams with multichannel audio, time code, metadata and closed captions.
Optional UI to IP Streaming part of the Net-X-Code server
The Net-X-SDI component of Net-X-Code Server allows for multiple channels of SDI baseband capture. Configuration depends on hardware, but typical configuration include either one channel of 4k, or four channels of SD/HD capture. Each high resolution capture also captures a proxy version at the same time, with frame accurate time code, multichannel audio, closed captions and metadata. Net-X-Code's built in HTML5 web player can play the proxy file while recording, as well as mark and clip both the high res and proxy files while it is still recording. If the recording is set to OpenMXF format, then the high res version can be edited while still be recording in Adobe Premiere, Avid Media Composer and other editors. Other formats like MOV, AVI, and other forms of MXF can be edited while recording using the Drastic MediaReactor Plugins.
Net-X-SDI also supports VTR control for frame accurately capturing older tapes. Scheduled captures are also fully supported form the Net-X-Code calendar web interface.
Net-X-SDI HTML5 browser based control interface
A variety of hardware and software capture is supported including:
- AJA Kona, CorVid, Kona IP
- BlueFish444 Epoch and Khronos
- Blackmagic DeckLink, Intensity
- Matrox SDI and IP
- NewTek NDI® Sources
- 10/25G NIC for SMPTE 2022 and 2110
The proxy file will be an MPEG-4 with time code, captions, multi track audio and RTIN file for play while record.
The high resolution file can be any of the following
- OpenMXF, OP1a MXF, AS-02 MXF, HDF, Sony MXF
- XDCam, AVCi, XAVC, DVHD/50/25, IMX, JPEG-2000, DNxHD
- MOV, MP4
- MPEG-2, XDCam, h.264, RGB, AVCi, Uncompressed 8 and 10 bit, HQX, CineForm, ProRes, DNxHD
- Uncompressed, DVHD/50/25, HQX, CineForm
- TS (transport stream)
- MPEG-2, h.264
- Uncompressed 8 and 10 bit
4K/HD/SD SDI Playout
The Net-X-SDI module can also play most file formats to SDI using a supported AJA, Bluefish444, Blackmagic, or Matrox video card. Playback can be started by our scheduler, REST API, our HTML interface or under remote RS-422 control. Both the REST API and RS-422 support seamless, back to back playback of clips, looping and hitless interruption of running clips with new clips. Clips can also be frame accurately recorded to video tape, using an RS-422 capable professional VTR. All outputs include up to 16 channels of audio, time code, closed captions as well as full frame video and optional VANC playback. A wide variety of file formats are supported, including those listed here.
Net-X-SDI HTML5 browser based control interface
Net-X-Copy - File Clipping, Conversion and Partial File Restore
Net-X-Copy connects into the Net-X-Code environment and provides a number of file translation, transcoding and conversion functions. The source for these files can be network/disk, tape (using our index to recall only the needed audio/video), Amazon cloud storage or Google cloud storage (directly or via our index files).
- Transcode, without re-encoding, recorded and recording files
- Translate recorded or recording files into standard file formats like XDCam, P2, OP1a, MP4 and many more
- Restore whole files or parts of files to their original format, without re-encoding, loading the minimum required source
- Translate parts of files, without loading the whole file, to standard broadcast and post file formats
- Index existing files for later restoration without recalling the entire source file
- Creation of thumbnail, or series of thumbnail, images from a video file
- Extraction of metadata and/or closed captioning to external XML and SCC/MCC/XML/Test files
- Extraction or re-ordering/replacing of audio files
Output formats can be wrapped, or converted, during clipping and restores. Profiles for output include:
copy, wrap, index, getCopyInOut, mp3-128kbps, mov-YCbCr8Bit, mov-dvcprohd, mp4-h264, mxf-xdcam-720p, mxf-dvcprohd-720p, mxf-xdcam-1080i, mxf-dvcprohd-1080i, mxf-OP1a-MPEG, mxf-OP1a-h264, mxf-OP1a-HDF - MXF, mxf-as-11-sd-pal-dpp, mxf-as-11-sd-ntsc-dpp, mxf-as-11-hd-dpp, mov-proreshq, mov-proreslt, mov-prores422, mov-prores444, scaledown2000k, scaledown500k, hd1080-5000kbs, hd720-2500kbs, hd360-1250kbs - MP4, h264-7500kbs, Proxy-h264-5000kbs, LBR-h264-10000kbs, mxf-OP1a-JPEG2K, mxf-AS-02-h264-10, DASH-MP4-Mutibitrate, HLS-TS-Multibitrate, TS-TR-01-JPEG-2000, TS-MPEG2, TS-h264, OP1a_HBR_50, mp4-XAVC-S_4_2_0, mp4-XAVC-S_4_2_2, aces, dnxhd-mxf-720p, dnxhd-mxf-1080p, dnxhd-mxf-1080i, dnxhr-mxf-10-hq, dnxhr-mxf-8-hq, dnxhr-mxf-sq, dnxhr-mxf-lq
Net-X-Server - Central Server Group Control and HTML/RESTful API
Net-X-Server combines the user defined groups of servers via an auto-discovery protocol. Servers can be started and stopped as needed without affecting the overall Net-X-Code system. All API control for a group of capture, streaming and conversion/restore servers is effected by a Net-X-Server instance. The architecture is designed to be resilient in terms of network communications, and server and process interruptions. Net-X-Server is a stateless controller, allowing servers and server processes to run independently when the main controller is not available, and to seamlessly reconnect when it becomes available again. Net-X-Server runs as a daemon, but also has a GUI and user configuration HTTP/Web interface.
Edit While Capture Support
Net-X-Code supports capturing IP and SDI and converting files directly to edit while capture formats, For Adobe workflows, this is often files in the OpenMXF standard with MPEG-2, AVCi, DNxHD and other editable codecs. In Avid workflows, Net-X-Code can write directly into MediaCentral/Interplay, creating OP-Atom or OP1a files that can be edited while capturing, and are directly checked in to Interplay. Net-X-Code can also be used to auto-ingest card formats like P2, XAVC, XDCam, Sony Raw, IMF, DCP, AS-02 and other multi-file formats directly into Avid/Adobe with full metadata and stitching support. Net-X-Code also supports ingesting all major camera raw formats including Sony Raw, Red, Canon, Panasonic, Codex, Blackmagic, DNG, RMF, VRW, CDX, MLV and many other formats. Full support for most MOV, AVI, MXF, AAF, GXF, LXF, GEN, HDR, JS, MP4, YUV and raw formats is also available. This includes re-wrapping Avid OP-Atom files to OP1a, without recompression, to transfer to the new MediaCentral formats and non Avid workflows.
Net-X-Code supports almost all cloud architectures. The servers within a Net-X-Code group can be run in a VM running Windows, Windows Server, RedHat/Centos or Ubuntu. File access can be made via standard network shares (SMB, NFS, AFS) or directly to cloud storage (Amazon S3, Google Cloud) or via internet standard protocols (GCS, S3, Glacier, HTTP(S), FTP). While many cloud providers are supported, Net-X-Code is currently running on:
Net-X-Code UI Demonstration
The video below is a demonstration of Drastic's HTML5 demo UI for the Net-X-Code video IP capture, stream, convert and partial file restore server system. This video will cover the major functions of the Net-X-Code system, including Net-X-Base, Net-X-Cmd, Net-X-Code, and Net-X-Copy.
Web UI Demonstration
90 Seconds With Net-X-Code
IP Protocols include:
- SMPTE-2110 uncompressed video and audio
- SMPTE 2022-6 raw uncompressed video/audio
- NewTek NDI ® protocol
- TR-01/Evertz JPEG-2000
- UDP transport h.264, h.265/HEVC, MPEG-2, JPEG-2000
- RTP transport h.264, h.265/HEVC, MPEG-2, JPEG-2000
- SRT - Secure Reliable Transport (Haivision)
- RTSP h.264
- HTTP(S), FTP - all supported formats
- RTMP h.264
SDI Baseband support:
- 4K, QHD, 3G, HD, SD via SDI or HDMI
- Up to 16 channels of 24 bit audio
- Supported hardware:
- AJA Kona or Corvid (one to four channels)
- Bluefish444 Epoch, Khronos (one to four channels)
- Blackmagic DeckLink (single channel)
- Supported file formats
- MXF (OP1a, AS-02, DPP, HDF, XDCam, P2, IMF), MOV, MP4, TS, MPG, AVI, YUV
- Supported codec (record)
- MPEG, h.264, XDCam, AVCi, DVC25/50/HD, XAVC-I, ProRes, Uncompressed
- Full metadata support: multiple time code, closed captions, irig, ltc, rs-422, vanc
File Access Methods
- Network AFP, SMB, NFS, Object Store
- Cloud Amazon S3, Google Cloud
- Internet HTTP, HTTPS, FTP
Cloud VM Platforms:
- Microsoft Azure
Capture formats include: TS, OpenMXF, MXF Op1a, MXF AS-02, MOV, MP4, v6: Fragmented MP4, HLS, DASH, ISMV
Translation formats include: TS, MXF Op1a, MXF AS-02, MOV, MP4, XDCam, P2, Omneon, AVI, v6: HLS, DASH
Video codecs include: MPEG-1, MPEG-2 (4:2:0 and 4:2:2, SD/HD), MPEG-4 (4:2:0 and 4:2:2, SD/HD), AVC h.264 (4:2:0 and 4:2:2, 8 and 10 bit), v6: HEVC, JPEG-2000, TR-01, SMPTE 2110, SMPTE 2022
Translation codecs include: Video codecs, XDCam, HDCam, AVCi100/200/Ultra, Uncompressed, WMV, DNxHD, v6: JPEG-2000, HEVC, TR-01
Audio codecs include: MPEG Layer 1/2, MPEG Layer 3, PCM, AES3, AAC, AC-3 (passthrough)