IP Capture, Control, Convert and Output
Net-X-Code Server provides a comprehensive and scalable set of tools for multichannel media ingest, clip/PFR/transcode, and output, and supports a wide range of industry standard file and IP stream formats.
Net-X-Code can capture from IP and SDI, and convert files as needed directly to edit while capture formats. All major cloud architectures are supported, and the servers within a Net-X-Code group can be run on a VM with a Windows, Windows Server, RedHat/Centos or Ubuntu OS.
Server and Applications Overview
Net-X-Code applications (Net-X-Cmd, Net-X-Base, Net-X-Code, Net-X-SDI, Net-X-Server, Net-X-Copy, Net-X-Player, Media File Scanner, videoQC, MediaReactor Workstation, and ccConvert) auto-detect and join user-defined enterprise groups on one or more servers within a network. Once connected, the controller/user can configure the system in real time via the HTTP/RESTful interface.
- Net-X-Cmd: This component provides the central connection for all the other components. It uses a Bonjour-like protocol to auto-sense components within its group in the network, and provides the HTTP/RESTful/HTML API
- Net-X-Base: is the central command for all the Net-X-Cmd servers in a Net-X-Code cluster. There must be one Net-X-Base to make all the components of a cluster work together, though some workflows use one per server.
- Net-X-Code: Provides capture from network IP video sources to TS, MP4, fMP4, ISM, MXF, etc. files. Files can also include DASH, HLS and Smooth Streaming sidebar files. These recorded files can be stored locally or anywhere else on the network. A Net-X-Code server supports 4 simultaneous input or output channels. Additional channels or servers can be added as required.
- Net-X-SDI: Multichannel, multi standard 8K, 4K, HD and SD playback and capture, supporting QHD, HD-SDI, 3G, SDI and HDMI as well as network protocols including NDI, SMPTE 2022, and SMPTE 2110. Capture and playback multi formats like MXF, MOV, AVI, TS, MPG and codecs including uncompressed, XDCam, AVCi, ProRes, DNxHD, h.264, DVHD, and many more.
- Net-X-Server: Can take recording or pre-recorded network IP video streams from disk anywhere in the network, and re-stream them via RTP or UDP back out to the network. Net-X-Server also has a complete scheduling system for starting records, playbacks, IP captures/streams and conversion.
- Net-X-Copy: Is both a real time video translator, real time clipping engine and partial file restore system. Any recording stream can be used as a source while it is still recording, or near line/tape backup files can be restored, only accessing the part of the file required for the restore. Sources include drive, tape, local network, private cloud, Google cloud and Amazon AWS S3.
- Net-X-Player: provides an HTML5 based web player that can play time coded, frame accurate MP4 files, including playback while they are still recording. Net-X-Player can also generate clipping commands to use on live, or recorded streams.
- Media File Scanner: is an optional plugin that can scan local, network, Amazon S3, Google Cloud or other file repositories to identify and organize your media. The scan works by creating media 'clips' that are the actual audio/video/metadata by combining and stitching together associated audio and video files. The result is a set of actual media files, rather than just every file, that can be used to extract metadata, make proxies, generate thumbnails and push all the information into a database or your choice of MAM.
- videoQC: Video preview is available from on disk, live recording and network video sources. videoQC provides video waveform, vectorscope, histogram, chromaticity, and metadata displays, along with clipping and conversions.
- MediaReactor Workstation: These plugins allow professional editing and finishing systems to access all the file types created by the Net-X-Code system, and access the real time recording files while they are still growing. MediaReactor Workstation is built into software like Assimilate and Nucoda, and available as an option for other systems like Adobe, Avid, Autodesk, Quantel, Final Cut, and even QuickTime compatible apps.
- ccConvert provides embedding, extraction, and transcoding features for a wide range of closed caption formats. Command line functionality is available for automatable conversions. Included ccReview plays captions within a video file, sidebar caption files with the same name as a video file, and supports playing arbitrary caption files over video, as well as over black.
Web Based HTML UI
The Net-X-Code interface is available through the network as a standard HTML web page.
Net-X-Code - IP Video Capture
Net-X-Code records multiple groups of multiple channels per server. Streams primarily come in as SRT, UDP and RTP transport streams or RTSP UDP/TCP streams. Streams can be captured in a number of ways:
- Direct capture of TS streams as they are received from RDP/UDP/SRT
- Re-wrap into MOV, MP4 or MXF OP1a/AS-02/OpenMXF
- Re-encode into MOV/MP4/MXF with h.264, XDCam, MPEG-2. DNxHD, ProRes, Uncompressed essence
- HLS using TS or DASH files, with multiple adaptive bit rates
- MPEG-4/RTIN Proxy generation for re-wrapped or re-encoded streams for play while record in our HTML5 player
Each Net-X-Code Server license provides a 4 channel input/output capability, with more channels available for purchase.
If recording to OpenMXF, these streams can be edited while recording in Adobe Premiere, Avid Media Composer and other editing systems that support it. Captures also include Drastic's proprietary RTIN system to allow edit while record of most capture files, including AVI, MOV, MPEG-4 and all MXF variants. With Drastic's MediaReactor Workstation plugins, any recording file can be read, and clipped/exported while it still recording.
If proxy files are also being generated by Net-X-Code, or captured from an h.264 stream source, they can be edited in real time via the RTIN and played in Drastic's pure HTML5 Net-X-Player software, with full time code and multichannel playback control. The Net-X-Copy portion of the server can also clip out sections of the high res file, based on time code points from the proxy file, to create clips for editing while the event is still recording.
Optional UIs for Net-X-Code IP Stream capture components
Net-X-Streamer - IP Video (Re)Streamer
Net-X-Streamer can stream files from storage, either pre-recorded or live recording, in real time back to the network. The streams can be sent out via UDP, RTP or SRT. They must be in TS form to be streams, but Net-X-Code server's conversion system fully supports re-wrapping or re-encoding files from most broadcast/post sources into MPEG-2 or h.264 transport streams with multichannel audio, time code, metadata and closed captions.
Optional UI to IP Streaming part of the Net-X-Code server
The Net-X-SDI component of Net-X-Code Server allows for multiple channels of SDI baseband capture. Configuration depends on hardware, but typical configurations include either one channel of 4K, or four channels of SD/HD capture. Each high resolution capture also captures a proxy version at the same time, with frame accurate time code, multichannel audio, closed captions and metadata. Net-X-Code's built-in HTML5 web player can play the proxy file while recording, as well as mark and clip both the high res and proxy files while it is still recording. If the recording is set to OpenMXF format, then the high res version can be edited while still recording in Adobe Premiere, Avid Media Composer and other editors. Other formats like MOV, AVI, and other forms of MXF can be edited while recording using the Drastic MediaReactor Plugins.
Net-X-SDI also supports VTR control for frame accurately capturing older tapes. Scheduled captures are also fully supported from the Net-X-Code calendar web interface.
Net-X-SDI HTML5 browser based control interface
Net-X-SDI supports a variety of hardware and software capture, including:
- AJA Kona, Corvid, Kona IP
- Bluefish444 Epoch and Kronos
- Blackmagic DeckLink, Intensity
- Matrox SDI and IP
- NewTek® NDI Sources
- 10/25G NIC for SMPTE 2022 and 2110
The proxy file will be an MPEG-4 with time code, captions, multi track audio and RTIN file for play while record.
The high resolution file can be any of the following
- OpenMXF, OP1a MXF, AS-02 MXF, HDF, Sony MXF
- XDCam, AVCi, XAVC, DVHD/50/25, IMX, JPEG-2000, DNxHD
- MOV, MP4
- MPEG-2, XDCam, h.264, RGB, AVCi, Uncompressed 8 and 10 bit, HQX, CineForm, ProRes, DNxHD
- Uncompressed, DVHD/50/25, HQX, CineForm
- TS (transport stream)
- MPEG-2, h.264
- Uncompressed 8 and 10 bit
4K/HD/SD SDI Playout
The Net-X-SDI module can also play most file formats to SDI using a supported AJA, Bluefish444, Blackmagic, or Matrox video card. Playback can be started by our scheduler, REST API, our HTML interface, or under remote RS-422 control. Both the REST API and RS-422 support seamless, back to back playback of clips, looping and hitless interruption of running clips with new clips. Clips can also be frame accurately recorded to video tape, using an RS-422 capable professional VTR. All outputs include up to 16 channels of audio, time code, and closed captions, as well as full screen mode and optional VANC playback. A wide variety of file formats are supported, including those listed here.
Net-X-Copy - File Clipping, Conversion and Partial File Restore
Net-X-Copy connects into the Net-X-Code environment and provides a number of file translation, transcoding and conversion functions. The source for these files can be network/disk, tape (using our index to recall only the needed audio/video), Amazon cloud storage or Google cloud storage (directly, or via our index files).
- Transcode, without re-encoding, recorded and recording files
- Translate recorded or recording files into standard file formats like XDCam, P2, OP1a, MP4 and many more
- Restore whole files or parts of files to their original format, without re-encoding, loading the minimum required source
- Translate parts of files, without loading the whole file, to standard broadcast and post file formats
- Index existing files for later restoration without recalling the entire source file
- Creation of thumbnail, or a series of thumbnail, images from a video file
- Extraction of metadata and/or closed captioning to external XML and SCC/MCC/XML/Text files
- Extraction or re-ordering/replacing of audio files
Output formats can be wrapped, or converted, during clipping and restores. Profiles for output include:
copy, wrap, index, caption, cardinfo, dir, clipfiles, md5, xmp, picon, metadata, getCopyInOut, getFirstAndLastTimecode, examine, mov-YCbCr8Bit, mov-dvcprohd, mp4-h264, mxf-xdcam-720p, mxf-dvcprohd-720p, mxf-xdcam-1080i, mxf-dvcprohd-1080i, mov-prores422, mov-proreshq, mxf-OP1a-MPEG, mxf-OP1a-h264, mxf-OP1a-HDF, mxf-as-11-hd-dpp, scaledown2000k - MP4, scaledown500k - MP4, mxf-as-11-sd-pal-dpp, mxf-as-11-sd-ntsc-dpp, hd1080-5000kbs - MP4, hd720-2500kbs - MP4, hd360-1250kbs - MP4, h264-7500kbs - MP4, Proxy-h264-5000kbs - MP4, LBR-h264-10000kbs - MP4, mxf-OP1a-JPEG2K, mxf-AS-02-h264-10, DASH-MP4-Multibitrate - MP4, HLS-TS-Multibitrate - TS, TS-TR-01-JPEG-2000, mxf-OP1a_HBR_50, mp3-128kbps, mp4-XAVC-S_4_2_0, mp4-XAVC-S_4_2_2, mov-prores444, mov-proresxq, aces, dnxhd-mxf-720p, dnxhd-mxf-1080p, dnxhd-mxf-1080i, dnxhr-mxf-10-hq, dnxhr-mxf-sq, dnxhr-mxf-lq, TS-MPEG2, TS-h264, wave, MXF-RDD-25, amt3-LowQuality, amt3-StandardQuality, amt3-HiQuality, amt3-HQX_10, amt3-DNxHD36, MP4-MultiOutput - MP4, HEVC-h265-10000kbs - MP4, mov-xdcam, mkv-ffv1, dnxhr-mxf-hq, mov-proreslt, mov-proresproxy, mp4-vtt-h264, kipro-prores-lt, amt3-XDCam, amt3-Proxy, amt3-Uncompressed, transport_stream, mxf-xdcam35-1080i, mxf-xdcam35-1080p, mxf-xdcam35-720p
Net-X-Server - Central Server Group Control and HTML/RESTful API
Net-X-Server combines the user defined groups of servers via an auto-discovery protocol. Servers can be started and stopped as needed without affecting the overall Net-X-Code system. All API control for a group of capture, streaming and conversion/restore servers is effected by a Net-X-Server instance. The architecture is designed to be resilient in terms of network communications, and server and process interruptions. Net-X-Server is a stateless controller, allowing servers and server processes to run independently when the main controller is not available, and to seamlessly reconnect when it becomes available again. Net-X-Server runs as a daemon, but also has a GUI and user configuration HTTP/Web interface.
Edit While Capture Support
Net-X-Code supports capturing IP and SDI and converting files directly to edit while capture formats. For Adobe workflows, these are often OpenMXF standard files with MPEG-2, AVCi, DNxHD and other editable codecs. In Avid workflows, Net-X-Code can write directly into Interplay/Media Central, creating OP-Atom or OP1a files that can be edited while capturing, and are directly checked in to Interplay/Media Central. Net-X-Code can also be used to auto-ingest card formats like P2, XAVC, XDCam, Sony Raw, IMF, DCP, AS-02 and other multi-file formats directly into Avid/Adobe with full metadata and stitching support. Net-X-Code also supports ingesting all major camera raw formats including Sony Raw, RED, Canon, Panasonic, Codex, Blackmagic, DNG, RMF, VRW, CDX, MLV and many other formats. Full support for most MOV, AVI, MXF, AAF, GXF, LXF, GEN, HDR, JS, MP4, YUV and raw formats is also available. This includes re-wrapping Avid OP-Atom files to OP1a, without recompression, to transfer to the new Media Central formats and non Avid workflows.
Net-X-Code supports all major cloud architectures. The servers within a Net-X-Code group can be run on a VM with a Windows, Windows Server, RedHat/Centos or Ubuntu OS. File access can be made via standard network shares (SMB, NFS, AFS), directly to cloud storage (Amazon S3, Google Cloud), or via internet standard protocols (GCS, S3, Glacier, HTTP(S), FTP). While many cloud providers are supported, Net-X-Code is currently running on:
Net-X-Code UI Demonstration
The video below is a demonstration of Drastic's HTML5 demo UI for the Net-X-Code video IP capture, stream, convert and partial file restore server system. This video will cover the major functions of the Net-X-Code system, including Net-X-Base, Net-X-Cmd, Net-X-Code, and Net-X-Copy.
Web UI Demonstration
90 Seconds With Net-X-Code
- [Input/Output] NDI <network local> - (Network Device Interface) Any NDI audio/video source
- [Input/Output] HDMI/SDI - requires an AJA, Bluefish444, Matrox, Blackmagic or USB capture device
- [Input/Output] SMPTE 2010/2022 - requires an AJA or Matrox IP capture card
- [Input/Output] IP <one to one or many> - (internet protocol)
- UDP (User Datagram Protocol)
- RTP (Real-time Transport Protocol)
- [Input/Output] SRT <one to one> - (Secure Reliable Transport)
- [Input/Output] RIST <one to one> - (Reliable Internet Stream Transport)
- [Input/Output] CDI <cloud SDI> - (Amazon Uncompressed)
- [Output only] RTMP <one to many> - (Real-Time Messaging Protocol)
- twitch.com, etc.
- [Output only] WebRTC <one to one or many> - (Web Real-Time Communication)
- direct browser
- [Output only] WHIP <one to one or many> - (WebRTC-HTTP ingestion protocol)
- direct browser
SDI Baseband Support:
- 4K, QHD, 3G, HD, SD via SDI or HDMI
- Up to 16 channels of 24 bit audio
- Supported hardware:
- AJA KONA or Corvid (one to four channels)
- Bluefish444 Epoch, KRONOS (one to four channels)
- Blackmagic DeckLink (single channel)
- Supported file formats
- MXF (OP1a, AS-02, DPP, HDF, XDCam, P2, IMF), MOV, MP4, TS, MPG, AVI, YUV
- Supported codecs (record)
- MPEG, h.264, XDCam, AVCi, DVC25/50/HD, XAVC-I, ProRes, Uncompressed
- Full metadata support: multiple time code, closed captions, irig, ltc, rs-422, vanc
File Access Methods
- Network AFP, SMB, NFS, Object Store
- Cloud Amazon S3, Google Cloud
- Internet HTTP, HTTPS, FTP
Cloud VM Platforms:
- Microsoft Azure
Capture formats: TS, OpenMXF, MXF Op1a, MXF AS-02, MOV, MP4, v6: Fragmented MP4, HLS, DASH, ISMV
Translation formats: TS, MXF Op1a, MXF AS-02, MOV, MP4, XDCam, P2, Omneon, AVI, v6: HLS, DASH
Video codecs: MPEG-1, MPEG-2 (4:2:0 and 4:2:2, SD/HD), MPEG-4 (4:2:0 and 4:2:2, SD/HD), AVC h.264 (4:2:0 and 4:2:2, 8 and 10 bit), v6: HEVC, JPEG-2000, TR-01, SMPTE 2110, SMPTE 2022
Translation codecs: Video codecs, XDCam, HDCam, AVCi100/200/Ultra, Uncompressed, WMV, DNxHD, v6: JPEG-2000, HEVC, TR-01
Audio codecs: MPEG Layer 1/2, MPEG Layer 3, PCM, AES3, AAC, AC-3 (passthrough)
Recommended Hardware Environment
We recommend a powerful, capable system for any testing or implementation of Net-X-Code.
- Minimum: 8 cores, 16 gig ram, fast disk or network
- Recommended: 24~32 cores, 64~128 gig ram, fast storage (10G, 25G, direct attached)
If you are using AJA hardware, it needs to be an AJA Certified System
If you add more cores, Net-X-Code can handle more streams at the same time on the server